With the holiday in full swing lets take a look at a simple recipe that can be created using any wild of domestic turkey. This recipe came to me when I was asked by a magazine if I could create “Thanksgiving in a single bite”. At first I was trying to think what this meant, I mean I could add all the flavors of Thanksgiving dinner and they would be happy. But, I wanted to create a dish that went beyond the meal and went into the adventure and memory of Thanksgiving.
I thought back to the days of fall turkey hunting, as we drove to our secret spot and passed the acers of apple orchards. Thinking back to the flocks of wild turkeys stuffing themselves in those orchards on the freshly fallen fruit. Watching as they unknowingly added a sweetness to their meat that only comes from eating apples. I though back to the crisp mornings as I sat under the old oaks with my dad telling stories, in hopes of getting our Thanksgiving bird.
To me this is what “Thanksgiving in a single bite” would taste like. I wanted to relive those memories with a single bite. I wanted to be transported back to the field sitting under the old oak with my dad as the turkeys filled their bellies freshly fallen apples.
This is what I came up with, hopefully when you make it you’ll be transported back to your favorite thanksgiving memory as well.
Stuffed Wild Turkey Breast with Apple & Sausage stuffing
2 turkey breasts deboned skin on
1 stick of butter plus 2 tablespoons separated
1 box of your favorite stuffing, or make your own
1 pound pork sausage, removed from casings (I use fresh wild boar sausage)
1 brown onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried savory
2 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
2 cups chicken or homemade broth
(If you’d like that extra crunch to your stuffing, you can always add 2 celery stalk chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- carefully remove skin by pulling gently and set aside for later. butterfly each turkey breast, then between two pieces of plastic wrap pound each breast out flat and set aside along.
- In large bowl add 1 stick melted butter, broth and stuffing, mix everything together and set aside
- In skillet add sausage, break up and cook through. remove from pan and add to stuffing mixture
- In same skillet add 2 tablespoon butter and sauté onions with garlic until soft. Add thyme, sage, rosemary and savory cook for 1 minute more.
- Add apples to skillet, cook additional 3 minutes, remove from heat and add mixture to stuffing mix. Mix all ingredients till fully combined
- Add ½ cup more stock if to stuffing is dry
- Take your turkey breasts and cover with stuffing mix leaving a 1/2 clear on the bottom of the breast . Tightly roll each breast from top to bottom. Take the skin you removed earlier and stretch it out covering the seam and as much of the breast as you can. finish by tying with butchers twine to keep tight..
- Rub each breast with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. place in greased baking dish skin side up.
- Roast in oven for 30-40 minutes until internal temp reaches 165 degress
- Transfer turkey to cutting board and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing into this amazing dish. Cut into ½ thick slices and serve alongside your favorite holiday sides.